Canning or Preserving Vegetables

What are the simple basics of canning vegetables. I am old age pensioner living on my own and remember the jars and jars of vegetables my Grandmother used to preserve. She used jars with a screw ring and sealing disk and her only equipment was a coal fired stove. I would be interested to learn this art without having to buy special equipment. Oh, I am from New Zealand so terminology may be slightly different.

Many Thanks

I’m not sure about canning, but I ferment a lot of my veggies. It’s really easy to do. if you google Sandor Katz fermenting videos, He seems the most down to earth and easiest to follow. Have fun learning, fermenting, and eating!

Thank you for your reply.

I believe canning is a term used for preserving food in air tight glass jars. When I was about 5 years old I seem to remember that Grandmother blanched the vegetables then put them in jars that had been heated in the oven first. She would boil water, possibly salted, and pour it over the vegetables (mostly beans in their pods or beetroot), place a sealing disk over the jar and secure the lid with a threaded metal ring. I know that the liquid was not a sugar syrup as she used a sweet syrup for preserving fruit.

Once again many thanks

Hello!
I too remember my mother canning many pickles and preserves. There are many vegetables that can be preserved this way, and it is a very convenient way to store food that is not dependant on electricity like freezing.
When I bought my current home, I had the opportunity to create a kitchen/vegetable garden. This led naturally to canning and preserving. I went online to learn most of what I have done, since my mother’s method was sometimes flawed, and I was nervous about food poisoning.
Here in Canada we have lots of glass jars with sealing lids available to purchase, and once you buy the jars, you only have to clean them out and buy new lids in order to re use them.
Most of the time a large cauldron is necessary to boil the newly filled, sealed jars so that you are creating a safe permanent seal. This is a hot process! My kitchen is a steamy place in the fall, lol. The joy of opening a jar of your own relish/pickles/vegies in the middle of a cold winter is worth every second though.
Most of the receipies I have used involve brine - a salty/vinegar solution, so if you are on a sodium reduced diet, you would have to be careful with those ones.
I hope this has helped!

Canning of vegetables is done in a pressure canner. Using the glass jars and rings and always new lids. If there isn’t enough acid in the vegetable it has to be canned under pressure not just water boiled. Such as green beans, squash,etc. start with clean jars and heat them in oven. You can find lots of info on pressure canning on the internet. Enjoy the process.
6[quote=“jeromebnewell, post:1, topic:79, full:true”]
What are the simple basics of canning vegetables. I am old age pensioner living on my own and remember the jars and jars of vegetables my Grandmother used to preserve. She used jars with a screw ring and sealing disk and her only equipment was a coal fired stove. I would be interested to learn this art without having to buy special equipment. Oh, I am from New Zealand so terminology may be slightly different.

Many Thanks
[/quote]

Pressure canning is frightening to me… I am afraid of accidents/explosions.

Thank you for your help but Grandmother did not use a Pressure Canner.
I am an Old Age Pensioner and am unable to afford one either.
I am looking for the way of doing it using only jars and a simple stove.

In the 1950’s a lot if people here were preserving their vegetables.
Unfortunately those people who were have departed this life.
I was hoping, through this site, to find somebody who remembered the old ways.

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for your helpful comments as I think you have put me on the right track.
Grandmother did not have electricity and did not use a pressure canner or pressure cooker.
Unfortunately 65 years ago I never thought to ask her to teach me or write down her recipe.
Brine solution sounds about right as I remember a bitter taste when I tried drinking the water.

Once again many thanks.

Water Bath Canners

A water bath canner is a large cooking pot, with a tight fitting lid and a wire or wooden rack that keeps jars from touching each other. The rack allows the boiling water to flow around and underneath jars for a more even processing of the contents. The rack also keeps jars from bumping each other and cracking or breaking. If a rack is not available, clean cotton dish towels or similar can be used to pack around jars. If a standard canner is not available any large metal container may be used as long as it is deep enough for l to 2 inches of briskly boiling water to cover the jars. The diameter of the canner should be no more than 4 inches wider than the diameter of your stove’s burner to ensure proper heating of all jars. Using a wash kettle that fits over two burners is not recommended because the middle jars do not get enough heat. For an electric range, the canner must have a flat bottom. Outdoor fire pits with a solid grate will also work however close attention is required to insure proper boiling temperature.
from http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/canning.htm

Here’s a very good video overview of the whole canning process…

Alo; eu sou do Brasil, e já fiz muitas conservas de legumes. Eu uso um frasco de vidro de boca larga com tampa rosqueavel de metal. Ferva o vidro a tampa e deixe esfriar em local abrigado. Limpe e descasque os legumas. Corte os legumes em pedaços que caibam no pote de vidro, coloque os legumes em uma peneira e despeje água fervente sobre eles.
Após coloca-los no vidro ferva uma mistura de água salgada com vinagre na proporção metade de água e metade de vinagre.Despeje a mistura ainda quente dentro do vidro com os legumes e feche bem a tampa. Para mim este método sempre deu certo. Espero que tenha ajudado,

Translation…

"Hello; I’m from Brazil, and I’ve made lots of canned vegetables. I use a wide-mouth glass bottle with a metal screw-on cap. Boil the glass cover and allow to cool in a warm place. Clean and peel legumes. Cut the vegetables into pieces that fit into the glass jar, place the vegetables in a sieve and pour boiling water over them.

After placing them on the glass boil a mixture of salted water with vinegar in the ratio of half water and half vinegar. Pour the still warm mixture into the glass with the vegetables and close the lid well. For me this method always worked. I hope it helped you,"

I agree with the others, for many vegetables the only safe canning method is pressure canning. If you want to can your green beans, etc. then you will have to pressure can them.

However, anything with an acidic enough PH can be water bath canned. This requires pickling, and many vegetables can be pickled. Cucumbers, peppers, carrots, garlic, onions, beets etc. Of course, you will have pickled vegetables, then, not just canned ones, but they are still good.

You can also can tomatoes with the water bath method by simply adding some citric acid to each jar (1/4tsp for pint, 1/2tsp for quarts).

Simply go out and purchase some jars of the size you prefer that are mason style jars for canning. You can reuse the jars and rings, new lids are about $3. Find your recipe for pickled vegetables or tomatoes that you like that are for canning. Here are some examples;
https://www.freshpreserving.com/crushed-tomatoes-|-canning-tomatoes---ball-fresh-preserving-br1149.html
https://www.freshpreserving.com/home-style-pickled-jalapeños---ball-recipes-br3547.html

Follow the recipes. Make sure your jars and lids are clean and fill/cover them with boiling water. Then dump the water out and pour the hot vegetables and brine into the jar. make sure the vegetables are covered by the brine and you have left some space at the top of the jar. Then put the lids on tight, and place them in a deep pot of actively boiling water that covers the jars by a couple of inches.
Follow the directions on the recipe for how long to process them. Pull the jars after the appropriate length of time and wait for them to seal. Any that haven’t sealed after a half hour, separate them to put into the fridge after they have cooled and use them first. They should last months. Any that sealed correctly should be shelf stable for a few years.

I have four half pints of pickles jalapenos this week, water bath canned. Looking forward to those on pizza. Also six pints of salsa water bath canned as well. Yum!

I am turning 60 soon. I remember my Nana using 2 wood burning cookstoves that were put in “the outside kitchen” specially for her “canning season”. She canned all sorts of meat vegetables and fruit. She canned stews, soups, pickles of all sorts, jam and jelly of all sorts. To name a few , pork, fish, chicken, rabbit, beef, deer, ChokeCherry, PinCherry, Wild Raspberry, WildPlum, carrots, potatoes, corn, peaches, pears, oranges marmalade…prettymuch everything was fair game. I don’t recall her recipes but I do know she boiled her bottles, sealer rings, glass lids and screw rings. She had 3 or 4 canners going sometimes. Her sister and daughters(my grand aunt and aunties) would help with the prep and cooking and canning and the men were pretty much constantly fetching the right kind of wood(usually standing dead Trembling Aspen) and stoking the stoves upon command.
I might add the outside kitchen was about 25x25, frame of aspen and or Spruce rails, 4x8 sheets of tin for the roof and 4’high walls with another 3’ of bug screen all around, and earth floor.
My youngest Uncle from that brood still did all his own canning till about the last 1&1/2 years of his 21 year battle with cancer.
My mom (Nana was my dad’s mom)also was very good at canning. Her green tomatoe pickles and beet pickles were better than anyone else’s.
We were not financially rich people but we ate like royalty. Actually probably better.