Growing raspberries with worm castings


Hi Guys,

I thought you might be interested in seeing the progression of a little raspberry patch I setup.

Here’s a photo of the patch just after pruning the raspberry plants right back at the start of spring. These were planted into an area of unused lawn that I cleared & cleaned up a bit. There were 6 individual plants in total…

The raspberries were planted right into the lawn after I had cleared away an area of grass. When initially planted I placed a few hand shovels full of fresh worm castings (straight out of the bottom of a worm bin) into the bottom of each hole I had dug for the plants.

It wasn’t an exact measurement. I filled each hole up about 1/2 full of worm castings, roughly about 10 cups worth in each hole I would say, before using topsoil to fill and cover the rest and secure the plants.

Here they are 4 weeks later. I decided to knock up a little frame from unused decking we had lying around. Basically just to define the patch a little bit better so I could clear the weeds inside it, and to make mowing / trimming around the outside of it a little easier so the plants didn’t get damaged.

I weeded and then filled up the frame with some wood chips / mulch to suppress the weeds & help retain moisture (picture taken just before I did that last step, forgot to take another one after)…

Here they are a couple of weeks later with some really nice growth on them. Not bad considering we still have 6 weeks of spring remaining before summer rolls around…

…same again from a different angle…

…these haven’t had any fertilizer or other organic matter added (no regular compost). Just the initial worm castings used when they were planted as first mentioned.

Also once per week they get watered with worm leachate from the worm bin (the liquid that flows through the worm bin into a tray below). This gets diluted to an approximate 1 : 10 (leachate to water) ratio in a watering can. So these raspberries are going to be purely organic raspberries.

If you’re interested you can actually see the worm farm used in this instance in the background of the middle two photos. It’s a “Hungry Bin Flow-Through Worm Farm” which you can check out here…

…it’s not exactly the cheapest worm composting bin you’ll find, but it is top quality and produces more than enough worm castings (which you can also turn into worm tea) and worm leachate for most regular sized home veggie gardens. Especially after you’ve had it running for a couple of months.

If you’re interested in learning more about the whole worm farming / worm composting method of organic growing, you can check out…

…for a whole heap of information. You can signup for the free newsletter if you haven’t already, check out a whole bunch of information on the blog, and download the book and join the members area too if you like.

I’ll add some updated photos of the raspberry patch in another few weeks as they continue to grow. There’s going to be a bumper little crop this season.



Hi Guys,

Here’s an update on the raspberry patch 3 weeks later. It’s a bit hard to see but they’re already starting to flower and bud up…

…same time, different angle.

Will have to knock up a frame for some bird netting over the weekend.